In the music program, students listen to and perform, read and describe, create and appreciate, a multicultural variety of songs, melodies, and rhythms.
Elementary students learn about the five elements of music – pitch, rhythm, expression, form, and texture – with new layers of musical understanding building as they progress from one grade to the next. Through instrumental instruction in grades 4-8, chorus in grades 3-5, and the Middle School choral program, students apply what they learned in the early grades, giving performances in which they aim to master tone quality, pitch, tuning and intonation, and rhythmic and melodic perception. Students who participate in Chorus, Orchestra, Bluegrass, Band or Jazz Band will have opportunities to share their skills with the community through public concerts and competitions.
In the spring, the MVMS Choir travels to Anaheim. They perform a concert in Disneyland as part of the Disney Performing Arts Program, and compete in the Music in the Parks competition in Orange County. Here are some recent awards they have received:
- Boys Chorus received a rating of Excellent and 1st Place in their division.
- Concert Choir received a rating of Excellent and 1st Place in their division.
- Bel Canto received a rating of Superior and 1st Place in their division.
- World Music Ensemble received a rating of Superior and 1st Place in their division.
- Chamber Choir received a rating of Superior, 1st Place in their division, and Best Overall Middle School Choir at the competition.
- Lance Sell received an award for best student accompanist.
- Logan Paglinawan received an award for best vocal soloist.
- Amanika Rapplin received a special mention at the awards ceremony for her dancing with the World Music Ensemble.
Way to go, MVMS Choirs and World Music Ensemble!
Orchestra grades 4-8
The orchestra also travels to annual competitions, including those such as the Music in the Parks Music Festival. Here are some recent awards they have received:
- Chamber Orchestra received a rating of "Superior" and First Place (Discovery Kingdom)
- Advanced Orchestra received a rating of "Excellent" and 1st place (Great America)
- Intermediate Orchestra received a rating of "Excellent" and 1st place (Great America)
- 5th grade Orchestra received a rating of "Superior" and First Place (Discovery Kingdom)
The MVMS Band also competes in annual competitions, pitted against bands throughout the U.S., including Texas, Nevada and Oregon. Here are some recent awards they have received:
- Advanced Percussion Ensemble- CMEA Solo Ensemble Festival, Superior Command Performance
- Advanced Band- CMEA Band Festival, Unanimous Superior
- Intermediate Band- CMEA Band Festival, Excellent
- Advanced Jazz Band- CMEA Jazz Festival, Excellent
- Intermediate Jazz Band- CMEA Jazz Festival, Good
Elementary School Music Teachers:
Middle School Music Teachers:
Lori Adessa: Music for Grades K-3 (Old Mill, Park, Tam Valley)
Elizabeth Robertson: Music for Grades TK-4 (Edna, Strawberry) and Chorus for Grades 3-5
Anna Stearns: Music for Grades 3-5
Darren Smith: Music for Grades K-5 (Strawberry), 5th Grade Band
Jessica Nicholson: Chorus for Grades 5-8
Phoebe Dong: Grades 4-5 Orchestra and Int., Avd.
* Note: The Mill Valley School District manages the academic and administrative business for each school and subject -- for both District- and Kiddo!-funded teachers and programs -- including curriculum development, staffing, teacher professional development, class registration, grading, etc.
For more information about the Mill Valley School District, visit visit them online.