Nora Hunter: Music Teacher
Support The Businesses That Support Our SchoolsSee all business partners
- Brent Thomson -- Pacific Union Int'l Real Estate
- GTR Consulting
- Jim Hughes Photography
- Lebus Orthodontics
- Mill Valley Market (our FIRST Business Partner in 1987!)
- Mill Valley Wine, Beer, and Gourmet Food Tasting
- MV Code Club
- Rose Insurance Group
- Sharon Kramlich -- Pacific Union Int'l Real Estate
- Sweetwater Music Hall
- West America Tae Kwon Do
- Whole Foods E. Blithedale and Miller Ave.
- Woody's Yogurt Place
- Anthony Leite Personalized Dentistry
- Ashraf Orthodontics
- Boo Koo
- Bucky Dog
- Carlson Orthodontics
- Christensen Construction
- Dhana Inc.
- Bradly Jacobs, MD, Blue Wave Medicine
- Fairytale Brownies
- Famous 4
- Good Earth Natural Foods
- Joan Kermath -- Decker Bullock Sotheby's Int'l Realty
- Joshua Deitch Real Estate Agent
- Kathleen Clifford -- Pacifc Union Int'l Real Estate
- Katrina Kehl -- Pacifc Union Int'l Real Estate
- Kivu Consulting
- Larkspur Landing Veterinary Hospital
- Lola of North Beach
- Marin Optometry
- Marion Weinreb and Associates, Inc.
- Michelle J. Gonzalez, DDS
- Milvali Salon and Cosmetics
- Phibbs Construction
- Rotary Club of Mill Valley
- Sage Educators
- Sausalito Stationery
- State Farm Insurance -- Mike King
- Strawberry Village Retail, LLC
- Verus Technology
In her 12th year teaching for the Mill Valley School District, Nora Hunter is so passionate about sharing the joy of music with her students. Nora teaches transitional kindergarten through fourth grade music at Strawberry Point School, and Edna Maguire School. She is a certified Kodaly teacher, completed certification at McNeese State University in Louisiana. Learn more about the Kodaly Philosophy for teaching.
She also spends time at all five elementary schools as the Elementary Choral Director, teaching the third and fourth grade choruses, as well as the fifth grade chorus at MVMS. In addition, Nora is an avid accompanist playing for all MVMS choirs. She began her path as a vocal director as a founder/accompanist for the Children’s Choir of Chico back in 2002. It was at that post that Nora found a philosophical belief that all children deserved to have music in their life, and starting with music at a young age not only created better musicians, but better humans.
As a musician, Nora began playing piano at the age of six, and added woodwinds to the mix when she was ten. She is a single-reed specialist, focusing on clarinet, bass clarinet, and saxophone. She has played with the North State Symphony, the Juneau Symphony, and the Mill Valley Philharmonic. While working on her music degree at Chico State, Nora played in top level ensembles, including Orchestra, Wind Ensemble, Chamber Music, as well as playing in a variety of rock/funk/reggae bands around town.
With a master’s degree in Instrumental Conducting, Nora also spends time conducting. From 2005-2008, she was the Associate Conductor for the Marin Symphony Youth Orchestra, from 2010-2012, she was the Instrumental Internship Director at the Throckmorton Theatre in Mill Valley where is was also the vocal director for many Marin Youth Performers Productions.
In her time away from teaching, Nora is very passionate about the outdoors. Growing up in Lake Tahoe in a family of musicians and educators, Nora went from the playgrounds at school, to the glorious playground of the Sierra Nevada Mountain range. Skiing, hiking, biking, waterskiing, and backpacking have long been a part of her life. In fact, Nora’s first career was as the Head Lifeguard/EMT for Chamber’s Landing on the west shore of Lake Tahoe. She was a lifeguard trainer, swim instructor, ran an activity program for kids, and used her skills as a Wilderness EMT.
- Music Classes for Grades K-4
- Chorus for Grade 3-5