Darren Smith: Music and 5th Grade Band
Support The Businesses That Support Our SchoolsSee all business partners
- Brent Thomson -- Pacific Union Int'l Real Estate
- GTR Consulting
- Jim Hughes Photography
- Lebus Orthodontics
- Mill Valley Market (our FIRST Business Partner in 1987!)
- Mill Valley Wine, Beer, and Gourmet Food Tasting
- MV Code Club
- Rose Insurance Group
- Sharon Kramlich -- Pacific Union Int'l Real Estate
- Sweetwater Music Hall
- West America Tae Kwon Do
- Whole Foods E. Blithedale and Miller Ave.
- Woody's Yogurt Place
- Anthony Leite Personalized Dentistry
- Ashraf Orthodontics
- Boo Koo
- Bucky Dog
- Carlson Orthodontics
- Christensen Construction
- Dhana Inc.
- Bradly Jacobs, MD, Blue Wave Medicine
- Fairytale Brownies
- Famous 4
- Good Earth Natural Foods
- Joan Kermath -- Decker Bullock Sotheby's Int'l Realty
- Joshua Deitch Real Estate Agent
- Kathleen Clifford -- Pacifc Union Int'l Real Estate
- Katrina Kehl -- Pacifc Union Int'l Real Estate
- Kivu Consulting
- Larkspur Landing Veterinary Hospital
- Lola of North Beach
- Marin Optometry
- Marion Weinreb and Associates, Inc.
- Michelle J. Gonzalez, DDS
- Milvali Salon and Cosmetics
- Phibbs Construction
- Rotary Club of Mill Valley
- Sage Educators
- Sausalito Stationery
- State Farm Insurance -- Mike King
- Strawberry Village Retail, LLC
- Verus Technology
Darren Smith joined the Mill Valley music department in 2013. He previously taught K-5 music for 14 years in the Alameda Unified Schools. He first discovered the joys of working with kids in Taos, New Mexico, where he spent several years teaching in an outdoor science camp in the summer and in the children’s ski school during the winter.
Music has long been an important part of his life; he decided to take up the saxophone after seeing the bar scene in Star Wars at age 11. In 1998 he realized that the closest he could come to the intergalactic cantina on Planet Earth was San Francisco, so he moved to the Bay Area and started mixing it up in the local music scene. He has had the good fortune of performing and recording with some of the Bay Area’s top musicians in the Jazz, African, and Latin scenes, including Swoop Unit, Orquesta Dharma, Omaya, The Afrocuban Jazz Cartel, Rumbache, and he frequently plays with artists visiting from Puerto Rico and Cuba.
When he is not playing music, Darren enjoys being at the beach, in the snow, or on his mountain bike. He lives in Fairfax with his wife, his young son, 2 dogs, 5 chickens and a yummy garden.
Here in Mill Valley Darren teaches general music at Strawberry Point and Edna Maguire, and runs the 5th grade band program at all the elementary sites.
- Instrumental Music Lessons for Grades 4-8
- Concert Band for Grades 4-8
- Jazz Band and Jazz Combo for Grades 6-8
- Percussion and Guitar Ensembles for Grades 6-8