Support The Businesses That Support Our SchoolsSee all business partners
- Brent Thomson -- Pacific Union Int'l Real Estate
- GTR Consulting
- Jim Hughes Photography
- Lebus Orthodontics
- Mill Valley Market (our FIRST Business Partner in 1987!)
- Mill Valley Wine, Beer, and Gourmet Food Tasting
- MV Code Club
- Rose Insurance Group
- Sharon Kramlich -- Pacific Union Int'l Real Estate
- Sweetwater Music Hall
- West America Tae Kwon Do
- Whole Foods E. Blithedale and Miller Ave.
- Woody's Yogurt Place
- Anthony Leite Personalized Dentistry
- Ashraf Orthodontics
- Boo Koo
- Bucky Dog
- Carlson Orthodontics
- Christensen Construction
- Dhana Inc.
- Bradly Jacobs, MD, Blue Wave Medicine
- Fairytale Brownies
- Famous 4
- Good Earth Natural Foods
- Joan Kermath -- Decker Bullock Sotheby's Int'l Realty
- Joshua Deitch Real Estate Agent
- Kathleen Clifford -- Pacifc Union Int'l Real Estate
- Katrina Kehl -- Pacifc Union Int'l Real Estate
- Kivu Consulting
- Larkspur Landing Veterinary Hospital
- Lola of North Beach
- Marin Optometry
- Marion Weinreb and Associates, Inc.
- Michelle J. Gonzalez, DDS
- Milvali Salon and Cosmetics
- Phibbs Construction
- Rotary Club of Mill Valley
- Sage Educators
- Sausalito Stationery
- State Farm Insurance -- Mike King
- Strawberry Village Retail, LLC
- Verus Technology
Kiddo! provides the funding for a poetry program for all 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th grade students. You would be surprised at the imaginative, thoughtful, and articulate ways young minds can express themselves.
Through California Poets in the Schools, a community-based poetry education program operating since 1964, tomorrow’s “laureates” will learn to create poems using various prompts. As poet and poetry teacher Karen Benke explains, “Poetry helps us peel back the layers of our lives and look at the ordinary in a way we haven’t before.” After reading poetry their children have written, parents often are surprised at their depth of emotion and complexity of ideas. Read on, and you’ll see what we’re talking about…
CHINA, 3rd Grade
Old Mill School
Denise Strecker, Classroom Teacher
Sasha Eakle, Poet Teacher
Can draw animals.
Can write poems.
Can do push-ups.
MICHAEL, 1st grade
Strawberry Point School
Jan Bolgla, Classroom Teacher
Sasha Eakle, Poetry Teacher
Loud And Quiet
When a jackhammer sings its
Bone rattle song, it’s loud.
When a snake coils with icy confidence,
Poised ready to spring, it’s quiet.
When a battle drum is pounded,
Yelling a pang of fear, it’s loud.
When an entire football stadium holds its breath,
Waiting to see if the kick is good, it’s quiet.
When a fire crackles and snaps in
Burning rage, it’s loud.
When a lonely, forgotten balloon drifts
On a high blue breeze, it’s quiet.
Silence is the absence of sound,
And thus it never is.
JESSE, Sixth Grade
Mill Valley Middle School
Rod Septka, Classroom Teacher
Michele Rivers, Poet-Teacher
Note: The Mill Valley School District manages the academic and administrative business for each school and subject — for both District- and Kiddo!-funded teachers and programs — including curriculum development, staffing, teacher professional development, class registration, grading, etc. For more information about the Mill Valley School District, visit www.mvschools.org.